With the beginning of a new year, it’s time to work on filing your taxes! Keeping good records is essential for CRNAs who work as independent contractors. Here’s a quick checklist.

Form 1099-MISC

If you do more than $600 of work for a client, they’ll file a Form 1099-MISC and send you a copy. You should have 1099-MISC by January 31.

Document your deductions

Independent contractors can deduct a wide range of business expenses. Be sure you can document all your expenses with receipts and other records.

Deductible expenses include:

  • Travel
  • Meals
  • Phone
  • Insurance
  • Office expenses
  • Professional fees
  • Housing
  • Uniforms
  • Education/licensing
  • Pension contributions